Assessment is the process of collecting information from multiple sources, including testing, self-report measures, collateral contacts, reviewing past records, and clinical interviews, to develop a comprehensive understanding of the individual.
The purpose of assessment can include:
- Diagnostic clarification
- Assess any particular area of functioning or disability
- Inform treatment interventions
- Provide a comprehensive narrative
- Medication management
- Make recommendations
- Identify strengths and weaknesses
An assessment may be helpful when:
- There is a known or suspected neurological disorder (e.g., ADHD or autism) or learning disorder
- Social and emotional difficulties occur in more than one environment and/or interfere with school
- Executive functioning and/or memory difficulties interfere with daily life
- There is minimal progress toward educational goals
- Feeling “stuck” and not seeing improvement in treatment of executive functioning
- Therapeutic intervention
- Previous psychosocial interventions have been unsuccessful
- Cognitive difficulties
- Unexpected decline in academic or cognitive functioning
- Obtaining a baseline to monitor progress during medical interventions
- Brain injury
Learning Solutions provides testing and evaluation services to assess psychological, neuropsychological, academic, learning, and speech/language concerns.
Types of Assessment
Psychological evaluations provide diagnostic clarification and inform treatment interventions around key aspects of development and functioning, thoughts, emotions, mood, behavior, memory, interpersonal relationships, social skills, socio-cultural influences, physical maturation, and health.
Neuropsychological evaluations assess in greater detail things such as memory, attention, information processing, sensory perception, language, fine motor skills, visual-spatial skills, social perception/cognition, and other neurocognitive processes and provide recommendations for remediating any identified deficits.
Psychoeducational/Educational evaluations identify strengths and vulnerabilities around core academic areas, including reading, writing and math in order to develop remediation strategies that can be implemented within the academic setting.
Speech & Language evaluations determine the presence of speech, language, and/or social impairments and provide recommendations for treatment or strategies that can be implemented within academic, employment, or home settings.
We specialize in comprehensive evaluations to evaluate the whole person to obtain a complete and integrated understanding of the individual in their environment. We place a primary focus on identifying the individual’s unique strengths, competencies, and potentialities. Recommendations are crafted to create a path that closes the gap between strengths and areas of vulnerability. Click here for more information on scheduling your consultation.